1. My canoe is about to go over a waterfall. A waterfall of love, sure. But this floating down the river business, which has been like an idyll, is about to rapidly end and a lot of clever paddling for a lot of miles is about to start. The books are slated to arrive in five days.
2. I’m renting my house out for winters from now on- I want to find someone who wants to live here October-February, and then I will live here March-September. That strikes me as a GENIUS way to have roommates- simply time-share the property, instead of day-share my life. So, all of you Tucson lovers, Gem-Show goers… Who wants to rent my Atomic Ranch next winter? Ideally, of course, I’d like to find someone I know or know through friends. I want to rent it for the entire period, not just the Gem Show months, and I’ll want a signed lease and a deposit to reserve it.
I am going to be a summerbird, see, and I need to find me some snowbirds. Plenty of people dream of having a house in Tucson, but don’t want to buy one. I’d be happy to have a long-term relationship with people who want to consider the Ranch exactly that, their house in Tucson. I made a page for this idea here. Please feel free to forward the link.
3. I’m arranging my next year of life now, like God, with little slips of ideas on a box full of boxes. Looking at maps, looking at my next two books, looking at where I want to place myself, and when, and most importantly why. Why? I need to have a why now. Time is getting short and shorter, and I need to be sure to have enough time with my sons before they fledge. Last year was ridiculous; there was nothing resembling balance. I saw too little of them, and my heart bends their way.
Right now (and this is supremely exciting) I’m planning a dive down into Italy and Spain after the swoon of meeting Ferry in England… I am thinking that Volume II of this book will have its text written (and pieces photographed) from Barcelona, in November. I mean, why the hell not. GAUDI. The time has come. The time is here.
4. In light of this, I’m calling a theme on the book: architecture. Swoops and soars, bold colour, classic forms. Structure!
5. I love you. Thank you for everything.